Chennai is among the most visited Indian cities by foreign tourists. The Quality of Living Survey rated Chennai as the safest city in India.
Experience the perfect blend of tradition and urban culture in Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu, one of the largest metropolitan cities. Being among the most visited Indian cities by foreign tourists, The Quality of Living Survey rated Chennai as the safest city in India and one of the most iconic places to visit.
Interesting Facts & Trivia About Chennai
* The earlier name of the city, Madras is believed to be originated from Madrasapattinam, a fishing village located north of the St. George Fort.
* Chennai is also known as the ‘Gateway to South India’.
* The Tidel Park of the capital city is the largest IT Park in Asia; it also houses the head offices of leading software companies.
* Cricket is the famous sport in Chennai and was started as a result of the foundation of the Madras Cricket Club in 1846.
* The M.A. Chidambaram Stadium sited in Chepauk was set up in 1916 and is among the oldest stadiums of the country.
* It is also known as the Detroit of India because of its automobile industry which produces more than 40% of the auto parts and motor vehicles in India.
* The Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus (CBMT) at Koyambedu is the leading bus terminal in Asia.
* The Cancer Institute established in 1920 is one of the oldest cancer hospitals in India.
* The Anna Centenary Library in the capital city of Tamil Nadu is the largest library in Asia.
* Viswanathan Anand, the world chess champion, grew up in Chennai.
* This city is renowned for Bharatnatyam, the famous and one of the oldest classical dance forms in India, which originated in Tamil Nadu.
* It houses some of the leading foreign banks including Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Citibank, Export Credit Guarantee Corporation of India Ltd., Ryan Services and Standard Chartered Bank.
* The Vandalur Zoo sited in Chennai was set up in 1855 and it is the first public zoo in India and also the largest one in the country.
* Chennai is the second leading exporter of information technology (IT) and business process outsourcing (BPO) services in India.