India's Longest beach happens to be Chennai's Marina Beach which extends from Fort St. George to Besant Nagar. One of the best places to visit in Chennai for viewing a spectacular sun rise, this sandy delight is lined by palm trees on one side.
An old light house stands on the southern end of Marina along with several other structures including an aquarium, a swimming pool and a park. With food stalls, rides on ponies, kite flying and beach games to entertain you, a visit to here must be included on your trip to this city.
Now renamed as Besant Nagar Beach, Elliot's is one of the places to see in Chennai and less crowded than the popular Marina Beach. On the southern side this seashore are the famedAshta Lakshmi Temple and Velanganni Church, popular among the residents of Chennai.
The Schmidt Memorial is yet another draw of Elliott Beach which was built in remembrance of a Dutch sailor, Karl Schmidt. Head here to experience a tranquil evening overseeing the waves as they roll into the shore
Semmozhi Poonga Park
overing an area of 20 acres, the Semmozhi Poonga Park is a botanical garden.Overseen by the horticultural department, it is an ideal place to visit in Chennai with family. Apart from the exotic and rare flora grown, there are also some medicinal herbs in the green houses of the park.
Visitors can relax on the park grounds which also contain a water and rock garden, a butterfly garden, a fern garden, a sunken garden and many theme gardens.INR 15 for people over 10 years of age.
This is one of the places to visit in Chennai with kids where they will be introduced to the South Indian culture of the past. Literally translating to 'a picture of the south',DakshinaChitra is a small village has been recreated using replicas of traditional South Indian houses dating back to the 19th and 20th centuries.
The visitors get a peek into the lifestyle and customs of different communities of South India and also viewartefacts made by the local artisans. Another treat is one can taste a vast array of the traditional South Indian cuisine.
Mahabalipuram was the earlier name of Mamallapuram because the demon king Mahabali was killed by Lord Vishnu. The name was changed later by the king of Pallava Narashima Varman who has got the title of Mamalla; the great wrestler. It was during the reign of King Narasimha Varman I, the name Mahabalipuram was changed. It was renamed mahabalipuram which is called till now. There is a story behind. The name Mamallpuram king Narasimha Varman I was a great and valiant warrior. He was given the title Mamalla which means 'the great wrestler' so the name was converted from Mahabalipuram to mahabalipuram considering the great king and his achievements.
After the decline of the Gupta Dynasty, the pallavas rose to the pioneer in south India. They ruled over from the 3rd century till the end of the 9th century A.D. The best period of their rule was between 650 and 750 AD and this period was called the Golden Age of the pallavas. The pallavas were very powerful. They were profound thinkers.
Victory War Memorial, formerly called the Cupid's bow, is a memorial in Chennai, India, originally constructed to commemorate the victory of the Allied Armies during World War I (1914–1918) and later became the victory war memorial for World War II (1939–1945), erected in the memory of those from the Madras presidency who lost their lives in the wars. Later addition includes inscriptions of 1948 Kashmir Aggression, 1962 War with China and the Indo-Pakistan War.
The Victory War Memorial is located to the south of Fort St. George and marks the beginning of the 13-km-long Marina beach. It is a circular rock and marble structure built in the area that formerly housed the coastal belfry. t's a windy morning and the road outside the Victory War Memorial is busy with the sounds of daily living. Within what was once called Cupid's Bow stands a flag post with the Tricolour aflutter, and a squat tower that lances the sky. Beyond the red-and-gold pennants that line the path are steps that lead to a plaque replete with the names of men from the Madras Presidency who fell in two World Wars and those that followed Independence. The towering National Flag will be visible over a long distance and would be there throughout the year. The flag is expected to instill a feeling of oneness and patriotism amongst all the citizens and remind them about the supreme sacrifices made by our soldiers in the highest tradition of the Services.The flag mast measuring 30.5 meters in height proudly holds aloft the 20 feet by 30 feet Tricolour which adds to the grandeur of the Victory War Memorial.
Guindy National Park and Snake Park
Guindy National Park is a 2.70 km2 (1.04 sq mi) Protected area of Tamil Nadu, located in Chennai, South India, is the 8th smallest National Park of India and one of the very few national parks situated inside a city. The park is an extension of the grounds surrounding Raj Bhavan, formerly known as the 'Guindy Lodge', the official residence of the Governor of Tamil Nadu, India. It extends deep inside the governor's estate, enclosing beautiful forests, scrub lands, lakes and streams.
Once covering an area of 5 km2 (1.93 sq mi) of one of the last remnants of tropical dry evergreen forest of the Coromandel Coast, Guindy Park was originally a game reserve. In the early 1670s, a garden space was carved out of the Guindy forest and a residence called the Guindy Lodge was built by Governor William Langhorne (1672–1678), which had helped make St Thomas Mount a salubrious place for rest and recreation. The remaining of the forest area was owned by a British citizen named Gilbert Rodericks from whom it was purchased by the government in 1821 for a sum of ₹ 35,000. The original area of 505 ha was established as a Reserve Forest in 1910. Chital (spotted deer) were introduced into the park probably after 1945. Between 1961 and 1977, about 172 ha of the forest, primarily from the Raj Bhavan, was transferred to various government departments in order to build educational institutions and memorials.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park
Arignar Anna Zoological Park (abbreviated AAZP), also known as the Vandalur Zoo, is a zoological garden located in Vandalur, a suburb in the southwestern part of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, about 31 kilometres (19 mi) from the city centre and 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Chennai Airport. Its previous location was set up in 1855 and was the first public zoo in India. It is affiliated with the Central Zoo Authority of India. Spread over an area of 602 hectares (1,490 acres), including a 92.45-hectare (228.4-acre) rescue and rehabilitation centre, the park is the largest zoological park in India. The zoo houses 2,553 species of flora and fauna across 1,265 acres (512 ha). As of 2012 the park houses around 1,500 wild species, including 46 endangered species, in its 160 enclosures.
In 1854, Edward Green Balfour, the then director of the Government Central Museum at Madras, persuaded the Nawab of the Carnatic to donate his entire animal collection to the museum. This attracted large crowds and became the nucleus of the Madras Zoo, which was founded in 1855. Balfour started the zoo on the museum premises, and a year later it had over 300 animals, including mammals, birds and reptiles. It was later transferred to the Madras Corporation and shifted to People's Park near Chennai Central railway station at Park Town in 1861, as it was growing. The municipal zoological garden occupied one end of the 116-acre (47 ha) park and was open free to the public.
Valluvar Kottam is a popular monument in Chennai, dedicated to the classical Tamil poet, philosopher, and saint, Thiruvalluvar. It is located at the intersection of the Kodambakkam High road and the Village road. The monument now stands at what was once the deepest point of a local lake.
Valluvar Kottam was constructed by Kalaignar M.Karunanidhi during 1970s in the memory of Thiruvalluvar, who wrote his famous Thirukkural some 2,000 years ago. All 133 chapters and 1330 verses of the Thirukkural are inscribed on bas-relief in the front-hall's corridors.
he construction of Valluvar Kottam is similar to a temple chariot, like a replica of the temple chariot in Thiruvarur. A life-size statue of Thiruvalluvar has been installed in the 39-m-high chariot. The auditorium of Valluvar Kottam can accommodate around 4,000 people. The architect of the memorial is South Indian traditional architect V. Ganapati Sthapati, who is also the architect of the Thiruvalluvar Statue at Kanyakumari.
Kapaleeshwarar Temple(கபாலீஸ்வரர் கோயில்) is a temple of Shiva located in Mylapore, Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The form of Shiva's consort Parvati worshipped at this temple is called Karpagambal is from Tamil, ("Goddess of the Wish-Yielding Tree"). The temple was built around the 7th century CE in Dravidian architecture.
The temple has numerous shrines, with those of Kapaleeswarar and Karpagambal being the most prominent. The temple complex houses many halls. The temple has six daily rituals at various times from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., and four yearly festivals on its calendar. The Arubathimooval festival celebrated during the Tamil month of Panguni is the most prominent festival in the temple.
The Government Museum or Madras Museum is a museum of human history and culture located in the neighbourhood of Egmore in Chennai, India. Started in 1851, it is the second oldest museum in India after the Indian Museum in Kolkata. It is particularly rich in archaeological and numismatic collections. It has the largest collection of Roman antiquities outside Europe. Among them, the colossal Museum Theatre is one of the most impressive. The National Art Gallery is also present in the museum premises. Built in Indo-Saracenic style, it houses rare works of artists like Raja Ravi Varma.
In August 1778, the governor of Madras granted 43 acres for an estate to a civil servant, who, subsequently in 1793, assigned the grounds to a committee of 24 which then regulated the public amusements in the city. In 1821, the committee sold the main house and central garden space to E. S. Moorat, an Armenian merchant who, in turn, sold it back to the government in 1830. The government first used the buildings and the grounds as the collector's "Cutcherry" and later for the "Central Museum." The museum was originally established in a building on College Road in Nungambakkam in the year 1851 and was shifted to the present site in 1854.
San Thome Church
San Thome Basilica is a Roman Catholic (Latin Rite) minor basilica in Santhome, in the city of Chennai (Madras), India. It was built in the 16th century by Portuguese explorers, over the tomb of St Thomas, an apostle of Jesus. In 1893, it was rebuilt as a church with the status of a cathedral by the British. The British version still stands today. It was designed in Neo-Gothic style, favoured by British architects in the late 19th century.
Thousand Lights Mosque
Another place to see in Chennai for its architectural magnificence is this mosque which holds a special place in the Shia community. A total of 1000 oil lamps light up the hall of the mosque, which is how it got its name. Its multi-domes and twin minarets enclose the main hallwhere men offer their prayers. There is a separate hall for the women.
Connemara Public Library
Constructed in late 19th century, Connemara library is a treasure house of centuries-old publications. With a collection of over 600,000 books, it is one of Asia's largest libraries. Be it avid readers or scholars doing research work, one could easily get lost in this enchanting world of books as they immerse themselves in their favourite activity.
Royapuram Fishing Harbour
On your Chennai visit there is one more interesting place which is a must visit for you. Well there is no doubt in that fishing is one of the leisure activities which everybody loves to do. How about a visit to the one of the busiest fish harbour where you will find people busy and even bustling in the dark. This amazing harbour can accommodate about 575 fishing boats.
For the photography lovers you can click some of the amazing pictures of the fisherman piling up their fish and then the fisherman who are shifting their fish from the canoes. The best thing about this place are the people who shouts at the top of their voice trying to be the best bidder.
The harbour is very famous among the people and people from all over the world comes to visit this harbour to enjoy the fish market and the witness the collection of fish done by the fisherman. The breakwater inside the harbour leads up to 300 m into the sea
Cholamandal Artist Village
This artists' commune is a platform for the resident painters and sculptors to showcase their creations to the visiting guests. Located on the fringes of Chennai, in the village of Injambakkam, Cholamandal has two galleries, an open-air theatre, a book store and a craft shop. For those interested in art and craft, this destination with a serene ambience will be an ideal outing.
Anna Centenary Library
Built on 8 acres of land, the 9-floor library houses a total area of 333,140 sq. ft and has a capacity to accommodate 1.2 million books. ACL has planned to adopt an integrated library management system that includes automated issue and return of books, user smartcards, access controls, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology and self-check counters. The library is designed to accommodate a total of 1,250 persons. An auditorium of 50,000 sq. ft. with a seating capacity of 1,280, and an amphitheatre on the terrace that can accommodate more than 800 persons and two conference halls with capacities of 151 and 30 persons respectively, are some of the facilities available. A dedicated children's section, spread over 15,000 sq. ft. has a fun-filled theme-based reading area with multimedia kits and storybooks. The library also boasts a high-tech section for the visually impaired, with talking books and Brailledisplays. Parking space exists for about 420 cars and 1,030 two-wheelers. A separate power substation with a capacity of 32 kV has been built on the premises. CCTV cameras have been installed in 493 locations in the building. A food court in the building is capable of serving 180 persons at any given point in time. The library was designed by C. N. Raghavendran.
Ooty (Ootacamund) the Queen of the Hill Stations, also known as Blue Mountains is one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. This hill station has splendid green downs and lofty hills of extraordinary scenic beauty and is endowed with a salubrious climate similar to the English summer. Located in the Western Ghats at a height of 7,500ft.
Ooty nestles in an amphitheater created by four majestic hills-Doddabetta, Snowdon, Elk Hill and Club Hill. These hills are part of the Nilgiri ranges that are really the meeting point for the Western and the Eastern Ghats.
Ooty has become more of a 'honeymooner’s paradise' and a de-facto filming location. Apart from coffee and tea plantations, trees like conifers, pine and wattle dot the hillside of Oooty and its environs. While visiting you will also come across many eucalyptus trenches . The fresh smell of eucalyptus trees in a trendy and clement breeze will make you psychedelic for sure. The funnel-shaped blossoms covering the hills in floral profusion and the lavender-blue flowers spread over the mountains will pack you with memories for a lifetime.
Kodaikanal located amidst the folds of the verdant Pali hills is one of the most popular serene hill stations in India, which mesmerises any visitor. With her wooded slopes, mighty rocks, enhancing waterfalls and a beautiful lake, a tour of Kodaikanal India is full of fun and leaisur holidays.
Kodai is situated at an altitude of about 2,133-m high and covers an area of 21.45-sq-km. The hill town is renowned for its educational institutions of international repute. Other than the fascinating places to visit in Kodaikanal, the pride of Kodaikanal is the 'Kurinji-flower', which blossoms once in 12 years. The hill-plantain fruits and plums are known for their freshness and taste.
Yercaud is a hill station in Salem District, in Tamil Nadu, India. It is located in the Shevaroys range of hills in the Eastern Ghats. It is situated at an altitude of 1515 metres (4970 ft) above sea level, and the highest point in Yercaud is the Servarayan temple, at 5,326 feet (1,623 m). The hill station is named owing to the abundance of forest near the lake, the name signifying Lake Forest. As a popular tourist destination, Yercaud  is also called as Jewel of the South. Yercaud is connected to the city of Salem, Tamil Nadu through a Highway of 28 km. Coffee and citrus fruits, most notably oranges, are grown in abundance, as well as bananas, pears and jackfruit. Scenically, Yercaud is as enchanting and picturesque as the hill stations on the Eastern Ghats and trekking will be an experience.
The Yelagiri Panchayat comes under Jolarpettai Panchayat Union. It is situated in vellore District. It is located about 15 km away from Vaniyambadi – Tirupattur Road from Ponneri Split Road….
The total area of Yelagiri Hills is about 29.2 sq.km. The base of this hill is circular in shape, and it has steep rocks on its sides. This hill resembles a plateau. It has evergreen trees in the north and north-east slopes. On the top of the hill, it has an evergreen forest.
Egmore Museum, established in 1851, is located in Egmore, Chennai. Known as the Madras Museum, the museum is the second oldest museum in India, the first being the Indian Museum at Kolkata, started in 1814. It is also one of the largest museums in South Asia. It is particularly rich in archaeological and numismatic collections. It has the largest collection of Roman antiquities outside Europe. Many of the buildings within the Museum campus are over 100 years old. Among them, the colossal Museum Theatre is one of the most impressive.
Covelong Beach & Resorts
Covelong (Kovalam) is a fishing village in India, 40 kilometres south of Chennai, on the East Coast Road en route to Mahabalipuram. Covelong was a port town developed by the Nawab of Carnatic, Saadat Ali. It was taken over by the French in 1746, and destroyed by the British in 1752.The Dutch built a fort in Covelong during the colonial times, which today has been made the Taj Fisherman's Cove, a private luxury beach resort.Covelong beach is one of the few places in the East Coast where wind surfing takes place.Metropolitan Transport Corporation(MTC) operate bus services which connect almost all areas in Chennai city and Covelong.
Vedanthankal Bird Sanctuary
Vedanthankal Bird Sanctuary is a 30-hectare (74-acre) protected area located in the Kancheepuram District of the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The sanctuary is about 75 kilometres (47 mi) from Chennai on National Highway 45 (NH45), south of Chengalpattu. More than 40,000 birds (including 26 rare species), from various parts of the world visit the sanctuary during the migratory season every year. Vedanthangal is home to migratory birds such as pintail, garganey, grey wagtail, blue-winged teal, common sandpiper and the like.Vedanthangal is the oldest water bird sanctuary in the country.
Pulicat Lake the second largest brackish – water lake or lagoon in India. It straddles the border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu states on the Coromandal Coast in South India. The lake encompasses the Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary. The barrier island of Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal. The island is home to the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary is a famous 481 km² Protected area in Thiruvallur District of Tamil Nadu state near Elavur and Nellore and Chittoor districts of Andhra Pradesh in South India. Pulicat Lake is the second largest brackish-water eco-system in India after Chilka lake in Orissa
Kapaleeshwarar Temple is a temple of Shiva located in Mylapore, Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The form of Shiva's wife Parvati worshipped at this temple is called Karpagambal (from Tamil, "Goddess of the Wish-Yielding Tree"). The temple was built around the 7th century CE in Dravidian architecture.According to the Puranas, Shakti worshipped Shiva in the form of a peacock, giving the vernacular name Mylai (Mayilāi) to the area that developed around the temple - mayil is Tamil for "peacock". Shiva is worshiped as Kapaleeswarar, and is represented by the lingam. His consort Parvati is depicted as Karpagambal. The presiding deity is revered in the 7th century Tamil Saiva canonical work, the Tevaram, written by Tamil saint poets known as the nayanars and classified as Paadal Petra Sthalam.
The Parthasarathy Temple is an 8th-century Hindu Vaishnavite temple dedicated to the god Krishna, located at Triplicane, Chennai, India. The temple is glorified in the DivyaPrabandha, the early medieval Tamil literature canon of the Alvar saints from the 6th – 9th centuries CE and is classified as among the 108 DivyaDesams dedicated to Vishnu. The name 'Parthasarathy', in Sanskrit, means the 'charioteer of Arjuna', referring to Krishna's role as a charioteer to Arjuna in the epic Mahabaratha. It was originally built by the Pallavas in the 8th century by king Narasimhavarman I. The temple has five of the incarnations or avatars of Vishnu: Narasimhar, Ramar, Varadarajar, Ranganathar and Krishna.
Wallajah Mosque or Big Mosque is placed in widespread grounds, which are being used as a place for religious and cultural functions and activities and this is supposed to be bigger than Delhi Juma Masjid. This imposing structure exhibits the fusion of medieval Indian, Islamic and Iranian architectural styles and was constructed using grey granite. Neither wood or steel has been used in any part of this mosque. The mosque is a commanding structure of symmetry and the façade of the mosque is adorned with two tall minarets. There is no dome structure.